Thursday, November 1, 2007

My legs have arrived

And at just the right time, too. I've been tapering this week. Monday I did a 10k in 45 minutes, and it felt easy, which bodes well for Saturday morning. Tuesday I took off. Yesterday I did a little speed work to keep the legs moving, and today is another off day. Tomorrow will be a short, easy run and some striders just to keep the legs fresh.

And fresh is what they are. Despite the lack of sleep last night (it was halloween, and a great halloween it was, too), I got up this morning and have far more energy than I usually do. Now all I really have to do is keep it from exploding too soon.

I read an interesting technique for this on the runner's lounge blog, where the blogger suggested "looking down," as it were. That is, watching your legs and only paying attention to them, rather than to any other runners, or even the course (too much). It makes sense. I am known for blowing myself out the first mile (going out in 6:20 where I was trying for 6:45 the first mile of my last 10k) and if I want to run a good race Saturday, i can't afford to do that. My major problem is that, in general, I really hate to be passed doing anything. The one time I've been perfectly fine with it was on a bikeride, going up flagstaff, where Tyler Hamilton blasted past me on the hardest portion of the uphill. I figure that's an ok person to have pass you.

In any case, the times I do pay attention and not go out too fast, I usually manage to run negative splits for most races short of the half marathon distance, and that's my goal for Saturday.

So, notes to self: go out slower than you think you should, run your own race, and run negative splits.

That should just about do it.

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Hi Jame. Thanks for the mention. It's all about the legs and what we ask them to do.

You've got some competitive speed. Good luck in your 10k on Saturday.