Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving

It's not quite thanksgiving yet, but it's coming up in a couple days. Thankfully, I've been off school for the past four days now (if you count the weekend). My legs are feeling somewhat better than they were after my last race, and they just keep getting better. Saturday, I took a long run with Jessica. We ended up going about 10 miles in 70 minutes, and it felt easy.

At the end, Jessica accused me of pushing the pace a little, to which all the rest of the runners (who we had left behind about 30 yards into the run) started cracking up. They'd all seen Jessica take off and me follow to catch up with her, and those who had run with her before seemed rather incredulous. See, Jessica always, always takes off on the longer runs. Me, if somebody sets a pace, I just keep it, however fast it is. Either way, it was a good run full of good conversation.

I'm going in reverse order here a little bit, but last Tuesday was a good run too. 3 repeats of one mile at 10k pace, followed by 1 minute at 5k pace. I love workouts where you have to surge like that, and I believe that they help beyond measure when you're actually racing. Especially at the front of the pack, runners will surge, and knowing how and being able to respond to those surges is more often than not the difference between winning and losing. Watch the Tour de France some time, the same principle applies.

One more quick comment: on Tuesday, my coach decided that he'd "make a runner of [me] yet." Probably the biggest compliment I'll ever get out of him.

Outside of running, I've got a dinner party to go to tonight (I had to rearrange my workout around it!!! it's almost unheard of for me to do that). I recently acquired a guitar, which I am attempting to learn. I'm having way too much fun with it. And I'm off to Denver for Thanksgiving with a couple friends who I have not been seeing enough of lately. It should be fun.

Turkey Trot on Thursday.

No comments: