Thursday, November 15, 2007

Amazing

My big ambition my senior year of college was, as soon as I graduated, to start a run across the country. I didn't have any specific reason to do so, but I had planned my entire route, down to the mileage per day and where I could stay each night. I'd set up sponsors (or at least potential sponsors). I had a charity lined up to run for, support cars for the truly lonely and/or dangerous sections, and had everything ready to go.

The grand plan was to have my running clothes on under my cap and gown and, after getting my diploma and shaking the college president's hand, strip the cap and gown off, hand the diploma off to my sister, and take off out the door. Since I went to college in Maine, it was a feasible plan, too.

Unfortunately I pulled my hamstring that spring, and that took me out of track and all subsequent running for a full year. So my grand plan went down the tubes.

After all that: this guy puts me to shame. Long story, but well worth the read. It took him 13 years and two broken legs, but he circumnavigated the world, traveling some 46,000 miles, under his own power.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

maybe your should change your name to Forrest. :)