Sunday, November 25, 2007

Long Runs with Vegetarians

With a little trepidation, I headed out Saturday morning for the group run I helped organize this week. I say a little trepidation because I was not convinced that my calf had returned to full health after pulling out of the 5k on Thanksgiving.

As it turned out, my calf felt fine throughout the run, which ended up being yet longer than we had planned. The first half of the run it was just Jessica and me taking off ahead of the rest of the group. Halfway through (around 45 minutes and 6 miles into the run), after we got lost, our coach Pete caught up with us and ran with us for the second half of the run.

It's amazing sometimes how much more three people will talk on a run than two. Usually Jessica and I have pretty good conversations, but adding Pete to the mix, there are no pauses any more, just a constant back and forth. The topic of the day this time was vegetarianism. Pete (who I found out was 38, would've guessed around 30, if that) has never had meat in his life. His parents raised him vegetarian, and now he has a mental block that won't allow him to eat meat. Jessica has been vegetarian since she was 14, by choice. I tried going vegetarian once. It lasted about two weeks. I like meat too much. The fact that I am allergic to milk and eggs in the first place meant that I had to go vegan, which makes everything far more complicated for me.

Our conclusions were that Pete is brainwashed, Jessica's a nut, and I'm normal. not sure how far I'd run with the "normal" bit, but I guess it works.

The final amusing part of the run came when , about 1:25 into the run, another runner. Now, this is a pretty rare occurrence for me and Jessica when we're running together, even here in Boulder. Just as the runner had not quite passed out of earshot, Jessica let out "What's up with that?"

Pete and I didn't stop laughing until after we got back to the car 5 minutes later. And let me tell you, running gets a lot more difficult when you're laughing that hard!

No comments: