Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Burnt out

Just as the subject says.

I ran a 5k this weekend. And while I still ran sub 20, which is reasonably fast, I was completely burnt out and barely managed to finish the race. I went out in 5:50 for the first mile, but I couldn't follow it through. My time in the 5k was actually almost 40 seconds less than my split for the 5k in the race I ran last weekend.

I think this is a signal that I need to take a rest week this week. I'm supposed to do a hard workout tonight, but I probably won't be doing it. 3 times 1 mile at 10k pace followed by 1 minute at 5k pace doesn't seem like a good idea at the moment. I have a heavy race schedule coming up, including my first invite race, and if I want to do well in those, I need to give my legs a rest so they can be fresh again.

But, everybody has bad races, and it seemed that this particular race was a bad one for many. Hopefully the two other 5ks I have coming up will go better, assuming I do what I should and take this whole week easy.

A minor setback, in the scheme of things, but it will certainly give me more motivation for my next race.

No comments: