Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Background

So, as is normally done in the first post of a blog, I thought I'd give a little background about both myself and the blog. So here goes:

I'm a 20 something runner, currently living in Boulder, appropriately, and attending grad school at CU. At this point, I have raced most distances from high jump (though that's not really a race) through the half marathon. In high school I was a sprinter, decent enough to make captain of the track team for a small school my junior and senior years. I ran the 100, 200, and 400 mostly, and also competed in the long jump (19'3" was my best jump). I took several years off in college, returning to run as a middle distance runner my senior year indoor season, where I ran the 800 and 1000m. I was, as is now unsurprising, sidelined by a hamstring injury for the outdoor season, and did not run any sort of long distance for about 8 months.

Since moving out to Boulder, I have been inconsistent. A year and a half into my time here, I was again sidelined by a dislocated shoulder that required subsequent surgery last November. Around the time that was declared healed enough for me to run and bike again, I broke my leg. The long and the short of it is, I was unable to run until the end of May this year, and have subsequently been rebuilding, working on building a base and getting some races under my belt. Since mid-August I have run a 10k (41:53 TT), two 5ks (19:29, good enough for 3rd in my age group in one), I ran the Pearl Street Mile in 5:17, which is about 40 seconds off my PR, and the Golden Leaf Half Marathon in Aspen in 1:50, food for 37th place.

The next race on my schedule now is the Heart Center of the Rockies Half Marathon, on November 3rd. With any luck, I'll post a sub-1:30 time and go from there.

No comments: