Thursday, November 20, 2008

Seems to be working

Most of yesterday, I did not think I'd be able to get a run in. With a problem set due today (Thursday) and several meetings that day, I figured I wouldn't have time. Fortunately, I decided that, even though I didn't have much time, I'd make time for a short run.

So, as sometimes happens, I chose to get as much of a workout in during that time as possible, so I did a relatively short tempo run. I burned through my "classic" 3-mile loop near my house in 19 minutes, and at the end I wasn't even breathing hard and hadn't felt like I'd worked all that hard.

This is the first tempo run of any sort I've done in some time, so I had no idea what to expect. While it wasn't quite as shocking as the 9:58 two-mile I pulled out of nowhere in the spring, I was pretty happy with it over all.

I also ran into (almost literally) one of my friends from my old running group on my cooldown. Turns out she broke up with her boyfriend (my old coach) a few months ago. I'm not sure what's with the rash of breakups recently , but it seems to be a pattern among the runners I know (really, just the runners, it's uncanny). Must be something in the air we breathe out here.

After the run, I came back up to school, and worked solidly until about 1AM to finish my problem set. I haven't been able to make myself do anything like that since I got back to school last year, and I don't plan on making it a habit. I think mostly I was able to do so last night because I knew that Thanksgiving break starts this afternoon!

I don't plan to go anywhere for break, but I have some epic runs in the works, so look out for related posts sometime soon.

No comments: