Monday, February 11, 2008

It Seems to be Working

So about a month ago, I started a program to significantly increase my mileage while not overtraining. This basically involves a series of 4-week segments (increase, drop a bit, increase more, go really easy) of easy distance running. I've done a hill workout or two in there as well, as a little extra strength training, but I have not purposefully done any speed work.

So far, it seems to be working. My legs, after last week, feel pretty good after the first cycle. This week kicks off the first week of my second four week cycle, and so is a very long week in which I intend to run 50 or so miles.

So, the results. So far, I haven't raced since I started the program. I had the chance to yesterday, but opted not to due to the long workout the day before. Saturday, the long workout, I ran about 12 miles. The first 8 were at 8 minute mile pace (in a the craziest wind I've ever run in). The last four I decided to pick up the tempo "a bit." I completely surprised myself by pulling the last four in 23:40, which works out to 5:55 miles.

I've never run a 5k that fast. And here, at the end of my longest run of the week, I pull off 4 miles at that pace. It seems as though my training might just be working.

No comments: