Sunday, December 9, 2007

A personal example

As an example of what I've been talking about: last week, I ran a 5k here in Boulder (the Colder Boulder, winter analogue of the Bolder Boulder, though much smaller). I'd had a pretty difficult week, between school and my personal life, and wasn't even sure I wanted to run. When the morning dawned, it was windy, far from ideal conditions. I decided I'd be happy if I finished.

I felt good, and decided to go for it. Figured given the weather conditions, breaking 20 would be a good accomplishment.

I ran through the first mile in 5:47, feeling good. The second mile turned uphill, into the wind, and passed much more slowly. I had trouble breathing, because the wind was robbing me of air every breath I took. But I managed to get through the two mile mare at 12 flat, and decided then that I could pull of a sub-19 that day, a post-surgery PR for me. Any way, as soon as I said that, my breathing eased up, my legs loosened up, and I crossed the line at 18:58. And you know what? I felt amazing.

The next day I went out and ran the same pace for four miles, as I mentioned in another post.

In any case, here's a pic of me on my way to that PSPR:

No comments: