Sunday, December 2, 2007

About time

I had a good race today. Conditions were far from ideal, with maybe 10MPH sustained wind plus significant gusts. The way the course was set, the wind was into your face on the uphills, which made it that much more difficult. But I succeeded in breaking 19 minutes (by a few seconds). I also beat my roommate, and came in a little before the first woman (I edged her out in the last 50 meters).

The best part of the race, though, was my fan section. The course was such that people could see me at several different places on the course. The race was set up as an invite, based on your Bolder Boulder time from this spring. However, since I didn't run the Bolder Boulder, I was in the open race, and all of my running friends had finished the race already. Some of them stuck around for more than two hours after their race just to see me run. At one point on the course I had no fewer than 8 people yelling my name. I haven't had that since College, and it made a huge difference to me.

So thank you Jessica, Mark, Jeff, Rick, and the rest of you. I hope you noticed the surge of energy I got up that hill after passing you.

No comments: