Saturday, October 4, 2008

Independence Pass

As I mentioned before, on the way home from Aspen and the Golden Leaf, I took the route over Independence Pass rather than the easier (driving wise) but significantly less scenic and less fun four-lane route. Suffice to say, it was breathtaking this time of year. So, without further ado, here are some of the pics of the pass.

The pic above is looking back at the road up from Aspen, which I believe is somewhere over that embankment on the right side. Any ideas on why the race is called the Golden Leaf?
Looking up the pass where I still have to go. I was surprised by how many rather large trucks were on the pass, especially since vehicles over 35' are prohibited (for some strange reason).
Looking down from the top of the pass to where I'm about to drive. Turns out Lance lives around Aspen now. I can see why. Not many better places to train for a triumphant return to the Tour.
Looking at the ridges from the top of the pass, 12,500' elevation.

On a side note, it looks like I will likely be returning to Aspen in early December for another race. Again, it starts up the side of a ski hill. But there are some added challenges. First, the whole thing is 2.5 miles up the ski hill. Second, obviously the hill will be covered with snow. Third, it's at night.

Should be fun!

No comments: