Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Planning for 2015


I recently decided that this year I would try applying to run for a couple different teams. I have never done so before, but realized that either this year or next would be the time to do so. As a part of the application process, I have to give a general plan of my racing and other event schedule for 2015. 

This is much earlier than I generally plan my year, but as I’ve thought through my schedule and thought of which events I’d like to do, I have found that it’s great motivation. It should also help me actually make my goals next year by allowing me to create a progressive race schedule with enough rest time and shorter races that I will be able to give a good effort for each race. 

One of the applications asks me for my three main goals (running or otherwise) for 2015 as well as a tentative race schedule with at least five events on it. With these guidelines in mind, I came up with this plan: 

My three main goals:

1) I am definitely going to run from the lowest point in Minnesota to the highest. I’ll start at Lake Superior (602 feet) and run up the Cascade River towards Eagle Mountain (2300 feet). It should be around 2o miles. If all goes well, I want to try this in early to mid June. 

2) Thru hike, or more ideally run, the Kekakabic or Border Route Trail.  This is something I’ve been tossing around for a while, but my recent 35 miles at the Icebox 480 and my decent time at the Superior Spring 50k makes me think it will be possible. If the rest of my schedule goes well (see the racing schedule below) I’m hoping to try this in late September or early October. 

3) Try my hand at Fishpacking. This is a more general goal than the rest. For some time, I have been intrigued by the idea of lightweight fly fishing. The general idea is to get a lightweight fishing pole, probably a Tenkara style flyfishing rod, combine that with a fastback (I have wanted a UD Fastback since they first announced the product earlier this year) and use my legs to get me farther in that other fishermen can go. This was a better concept in Colorado than it probably is here in Minnesota, but it should still be workable here. This is the most gear-intensive goal, so I’m a little leery of it. But it’s all gear I wanted to get in any case, so I think it will be doable. 

As for races, I’ve sketched out the following schedule. 

January 31: The Iceman. This is an obstacle 5k, with snow replacing mud. 
April 11: The Zumbro 17 (or 50 if I’m feeling particularly ambitious). This is, as far as I can tell, the kickoff of the Minnesota Trail Running season. It seems like a fun event, and I would like to participate this year. 
May 16: The Superior 25k, or 50k. ‘nuff said.
July 11: Warrior Dash 5k.
Late July: Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon. This used to be known as the “Half-Voyageur,” but was renamed after a local running legend recently. 
Early September: Superior 50 mile. My goal for the whole year is to run my first 50. I am fairly certain that I can do so after the Icebox, and I think the demanding nature of the course will actually play to my advantage, since it will force me to walk more often. 
Early November: The Icebox 480.


With my three other goals, that would make for my busiest season ever. It will rely on me keeping on target with my training, and just as importantly keeping target with my rest. If I make the team, their support, and the added motivation of running for a team would probably help. My main obstacle now is making sure I don’t overtrain. 

Over all, I’m happy with this plan: a little nervous, a lot excited, and mostly hoping that it will work out. 


No comments: