Thursday, February 27, 2014

Week Ending 2/23/2014

This week saw an intentional reduction in mileage after three weeks of increased mileage and intensity.

Monday: Off due to cold.

Tuesday: 5 miles, 40 minutes easy down Summit.

Wednesday: 6 miles, 46 minutes, easy down Summit.

Thursday: 6 miles, 42 minutes. Easy out, tempo back on Summit. Snowy, windy, and slushy.

Friday: 3 miles. Easy as it could be in the cold snap after the snow.

Saturday: 3 miles of walking, to and from the Red Bull Crashed Ice event.

Sunday: 6 miles, 750 feet, 56 minutes. A much needed trail run in the River Gorge.

There's not too much to say about this week. It was a bit of a week off, so I stuck to the basics. The tempo on Thursday was unplanned. I just love running fast when snow is falling.

I was, however, feeling flat all week. I was understandably tired from the run on Saturday/Sunday, which closed in on a race effort, and needed a break. Despite this, I had thought to do a long run on Sunday. When it came to it, though, my legs still felt a bit flat, and I didn't feel like running for hours on end.

Man did I need that run. I got on the trail, and to my surprise, despite the recent storm, the trail was well packed down. My legs immediately felt better. In places, trees had been iced enough that they bowed over the trail, making for a sparking tunnel to run through. I wish I had thought to bring my camera.

All other things being equal, trails trump roads any day of the week.

No comments: