Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Week Ending January 26

I went into this week thinking that, after upping the miles quickly, I should take it back or at least hold it steady. With my travel plans, I figured it might be a bit hard to get as much time running in as usual in any case. I ended up holding the mileage steady and increasing the vertical.

Monday: 5.5 miles, ~1000', 50 minutes. I discovered a new trail through the Mississippi River Gorge. I will write this up on the 14 project page later. The short version is that I did not expect to move from Colorado to Minnesota only to be worried about the exposure on my first trail run.

Tuesday/Wednesday:  Off. Wednesday this was somewhat unintentional. After traveling all day, I ended up standing around talking to my brother in law rather than running during the only time I had. Well worth it.

Thursday: 5 miles, 600', 43 minutes. Went up Viewpoint from the Boulder office. I was glad to find that I didn't really feel the altitude at all. It was, however 15 degrees out and I found it warm.

Friday: 5.5 miles, 500', 45 minutes. Ran up Sunshine from work. Managed to keep my footing on all of the icy spots only to fall on my ass in the mud at the trailhead. This resulted, somehow, in several splinters embedded in my right forefinger. It took an hour with tweezers to get them out on Saturday night.

Saturday: 8.5 miles, 200'. 1:08. Ran Davidson Mesa with Knud. This run reminded me that, bar none, going for a run is the best way to catch up with somebody. We certainly didn't push the pace at all as we meandered

Sunday:  off.

I hope to kick things into a little higher gear this week if I can. I still have ample time to get ready for the 50k, and plenty of fitness. I'm trying really hard not to overdo it.

Fortunately, Nature seems to be cooperating with me in this goal. Yesterday it was 10 below with winds of 20mph. We attempted to go to our Parkour gym, only to find out when we got there that it was closed due to the cold. So one unintentional day off down.

Today it should be a tiny bit warmer and a good deal less windy. I hope to be able to go for a short run today, and then get a real workout (hill repeats!) in tomorrow.

No comments: