Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Week Ending 2/1: Rest Week

I’m going to stop posting daily summaries here. The weeks tend to be pretty similar, all told. So from here on out, I’ll still post weekly mileage and time totals, but unless there’s something particularly interesting, I’ll limit it to that. 

Totals: 18 miles. 2:27. ~1000’ 

I find rest weeks difficult. I don’t think that separates me from most runners. I know they’re necessary, and they definitely help my training over all. Strangely, though, despite the lower mileage and the easier intensity, my legs never feel very good on my rest weeks. If anything, they usually feel worse. 

From what I understand, that’s pretty typical. The rest weeks give your legs a chance to heal the damage from the preceding weeks. Naturally, when they’re busy healing, they don’t feel all that great. 

It’s hard from a mental standpoint, too. I know, logically, that the rest week is good. I know in my head that I’m not losing any fitness by taking it easier for a week. But mentally, it’s hard to get past the “I should be running more” block. 

We runners are obsessive by nature, but that obsession does not always extend to resting. 

The Uphill Challenge: I signed up for an Upper Midwest Trail Runners (UMTR) challenge for the first three months of the year. The challenge: to do at least one uphill challenge on the treadmill each month for the first three months of the year. Prizes will be awarded at Zumbro (for which I still have to register). 

For those who don’t know, the Uphill challenge is a treadmill exercise. You set the treadmill at 15% grade, and go as far as you can in 15 minutes. 

This month I went for 1.21 miles. I set the treadmill far to slow for most of it, though. I think, this month, I should be able to hit more like 1.30-1.35. 


It’s not particularly fun while you’re doing it, but I think it makes a good fitness test, and an excellent exercise in mental toughness.

No comments: