Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Off Season



Last year, I entered the off season break a little by accident. Shortly after my showing at the Moab 1/2 marathon National Championships, my fiancees family had a medical emergency while we were busy moving to Minnesota. With the move, staying at my parents’ house for a while, and the inevitable uproar involved, I failed to run for almost two months. After that, I had to slowly rebuild my training up from almost zero. I started with ten minute runs, and moved up as my fitness allowed. 

After that experience, I wanted a more specific plan for this off season. I had decided, prior to racing, that I would take 2 full weeks off after the Icebox 480, however I was feeling. I am in the middle of that period right now, and I think this is a good time to lay out my goals for the off season. 

At a base level they are as follows: I want to severely reduce my overall running  mileage, running 3-4 days per week, not more than 20-25 miles. That should keep a base level of fitness, and keep my body used to the impact of running, while not overtaxing it.  At the same time, I will work on increasing my overall strength. Having bought a new pair of cross country skis this year, I also plan on skiing at least a day or two each week. 

How will I do this? 

First, clearly, I will run or ski at least 3 to 4 days per week, and not more than that. This, as I said, this will keep me at a good level of fitness, and keep my body used to impact training. As part of my strength training, I intend to do at least one workout per week on the treadmill (shudder), at a significant incline (10-15% grade).  

Second, I will continue my “Cool Impossible” strength program. With the reduced overall training volume, I should be able to do this 4-6 days per week without compromising my overall training. 

Thirdly, 1 to 2 days per week I will head to the gym and do a different strength workout (lifting, rowing, or swimming). 

Finally, as much as I can, I will be cross country skiing. I am thinking of using a major present (my 30th birthday present) on a skate ski setup.  That gets me the best workout I can possibly get, with zero impact. 

With any luck, and proper forethought, this workout schedule should leave me both refreshed to run another season, and stronger than I started. 

In the meantime, I am working on a few schemes that might make things more interesting next year. While I keep up my off season schedule, I’m not sure yet what my plan is going to be for keeping up with this blog. If my schemes bear any fruit, I will certainly post about it here. Otherwise, I think I’ll save entries for notable events and workouts. 


Until later, then. 

No comments: