Monday, March 31, 2014

Week Ending 3/30/2014

Last week I thought I might have had a breakthrough week despite only having run a total of four days. Looking back now, I would not call it a breakthrough week. What I would say is that it put me in the right mental and physical space to have a major breakthrough week.

This week I ran more intense workouts, faster workouts, a longer long run, and more overall mileage than I have so far this year. This could not have come at a better point in my training, a little under 2 months out from my race on May 17. It's given me a huge boost of confidence, and vindicated my slow, measured approach to training thus far.

Amusingly, it also only took me one week to break out of my one hard, one long workout per week method.

Without further ado:

Monday: 4 miles, 30 minutes. Easy run down Summit. I consciously decided to switch my off day from Monday. This gives me more (mental) flexibility to take an easy or off day later in the week as I choose. I know the weekly schedule is arbitrary, but it's a mental block I have and, as I see it, pretty harmless all told.

Tuesday: 7 miles, 46 minutes. Tempoed for 4 miles in the middle of this run (mile splits of 6:29, 6:14, 6:10, and 6:03). I discovered that there are easy mile distinctions heading down Summit: each stoplight is very close to 800m from the prior stoplight. The first two miles were net downhill, and I took them at a fast but non-labored pace. Then I turned uphill and churned it a bit on the way back uphill. Had I known how close I was to breaking 6 minutes that last mile, I likely would have pushed it just a little harder.

Took a swim and a hot tub at the gym later that night.

Wednesday: 3 miles, 28 minutes really, really easy.

Thursday: 7.5 miles, 54 minutes. Speed and hill (somewhat) workout. 6x800m on Summit, traffic light to traffic light, with a 2 block "sideways" jog rest in between. First three were net downhill, second set of three were all net uphill (2:44, 2:41, 2:45, 2:52, 2:56, 2:48). Solid workout in the rain/snow/sleet mix.

Another swim/hot tub visit.

Friday: 3 miles easy on the dreadmill.

Saturday: 17.5 miles, 2:42 at Lebanon Hills Regional Park. Longest run this year, and I felt strong until the last 3 or so miles. I will write more on this in my 14 project blog. Suffice to say "Hills" is a misnomer.

Sunday: Off. Took a walk around Lake Como, along with half of the rest of the Twin Cities (seemingly). All told that's about a mile around the lake. So we'll count it.

Totals: 43 miles, 5:45 running. About 400m swimming (hey, I never said it was a lot of swimming).

That beats my longest week this year by 5 miles, and my longest individual run by 2.5.

I think the week speaks for itself. Now I'll plan to take an easy/rest week this week, before working on one more surge before starting a taper for the race (already!).

No comments: