Sunday, February 9, 2014

Week Ending 2/9/2014

This was an interesting week. I'll start with the mileage.

Monday: 4 miles, 32 minutes. Easy on Summit.

Tuesday: 10 miles, 1:11. Went out with the Run'n'Fun crew again. Fairly aggressive pace for me, though for the race team it was a recovery day after doing 1200m repeats the day before. I was still feeling the pace a bit, but it was decidedly easier this time than the time before.

Wednesday: 4 miles, 32 minutes. Easy on Summit.

Thursday: Off.

Friday: 7 miles, 49 minutes. Fartlek along Summit. I wasn't sure I was going to go for a hard workout at first, but, oddly enough, since I was planning to race the next day and I felt good, I went for a true Fartlek. I made this into a proper Fartlek, not looking at my watch and going entirely by feel. I'm not sure how many times I picked up the pace, how long I kept it, or how long I rested, but I blew out the tanks in this workout. Even with the rest periods, I ended up with a 7:05 pace.

Saturday: 3 miles, 25 minutes. I intended to run the Twin Cities Valentines Day 5k with G and some friends. No real racing in this one, just for fun. However, once we got to the lake, we stepped out of the car to -5 temperatures with a decent wind and just weren't feeling it.

Quite literally, our toes were not feeling it, or anything.

So we opted out, and I ran a few miles later in the day just to get some miles in for the day.

Sunday: 4 miles. 32 minutes. After Saturday,

sdfbhggherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

As I said, before my cat sat on the keyboard, after Saturday I had already passed up my mileage from the previous week, so anything I got on Sunday was my additional mileage for the week. And I had put in a hard week with a ten mile tempo and a half-hour fartlek session. So I screwed up my Hokas and ran a few miles around the neighborhood.

Totals:  32 miles, 4 hours even.

This was a solid week. I not only upped the mileage, I put in two really solid workouts.

That said, I did not get a long run in this week. Or rather, I did not get a long, easy run in this week. So, at the risk of throwing my plan off a bit, I think I'm going to switch things up a little bit this next week. I will still plan to run the Tuesday night run with the Run'n'Fun group, but the rest of the week (after an off day Monday) I'll plan to focus more on adding volume and not doing as much speed.

All in all, I think my training is progressing. Naturally I'd love to suddenly be able to run 50+ mile weeks, but I think I am gradually and safely getting my fitness back.

One side note: there are many who recommend against adding in speedwork and more difficult workouts so early in a training cycle. My current theory is that, since I have a fair amount of base fitness, adding in a few speed, strength, and endurance workouts in so early may help me boost my fitness without losing too much speed. And it may just boost my schedule.

I am having something in the way of second thoughts, but rather than toss the theory out, I am going to try alternating weeks where I focus on speed with those where I focus on getting a good long run in.

As I seem to end so many of these: we shall see.

No comments: