Sunday, February 24, 2013

Two Weeks Summary: Feb 11 - 24

Monday: 6 miles, 700 feet. Sunshine Canyon from work. A little shakedown after the Green/Bear pairing the day before.

Tuesday: 7 miles, 400 feet. Tempo up and down Boulder Canyon from work (4.5 miles of tempo). 16 minutes up, 13 minutes down with a 5:30 last mile. Felt good to get the legs turning over again.

Wednesday: 8 miles, almost no elevation. BRC run plus some extra with Trent Briney.

Thursday: 5 miles, 500+ feet. A slow, snowy trip up Sunshine Canyon from work. Added in a 300 meter swim and additional 2 miles of running in the evening.

Friday: 6 miles. 700 feet. I must have gone up Sunshine again, judging by the stats, but I cannot for the life of me remember this run.

Saturday: Did a quick hike with the gf up around Chautauqua. Flatiron Access loop.

Sunday:  An unexpected summit of Green with Chris and Matt. Met a couple other friends at the top and added the to our group on the way down for a while. Total of 10 miles and about 2750 feet by the time we finished the loop.

After the rather long weeks the previous two weeks (long for me in any case) I opted to take this past week easy. So a quick rundown:

Monday: off.

Tuesday: 6 miles and about 700 feet up Dakota Ridge and down Sanitas Valley.

Wednesday:  7 miles. BRC run in the snow. Still managed a good 7 minute average, with the last two more around 6 minutes despite 3 inches of fresh snow on the paths.

Thursday: 5 miles, negligible vert. Ran up Boulder Canyon for a bit. Threw in another 350 meters of swimming at night.

Friday: 5+ miles, 700 vert. A different route up Sunshine Canyon from work. Clearly this has become a staple of mine. Despite being a trail that very definitely leads nowhere, it's a mentally easy way for me to get some miles in from work. I am hoping to mix it up a little more as the weather gets nicer and toss in more trips up Flagstaff and Anemone. With my race schedule, I think I will definitely need it.

Saturday: No running, but a good two hours of ice skating.

Sunday: 3 miles of deep, blizzard running. Added in 200 meters of swimming and some climbing at the Rec Center.

As I mentioned, this was a bit of a recovery week for me. I had intended to run a bit more, but with the blizzard conditions today my gf had the day off of work and I opted to spend a little more time with her than I generally have the opportunity to do on Sundays. We still goofed around at the rec center for a good two hours, which is a workout in itself.

The training has generally been going well. I put in about 47 the week before last, with a decent amount of vertical, and I think I'm on the right track, inserting a little extra intensity into my training in the form of tempo runs and hill workouts.

That said, I have a schedule for this year that includes thirteen races, for which I only have myself to blame. Not only that, I have the two longest, most difficult races I have ever attempted on the calendar. First is the Golden Gate Dirty Thirty 50k on June 1st (followed shortly by my first tri a week later), which has nearly 8000 feet of vertical. The second is Dakota Jone's Telluride Mountain Run August 10nth, a 55 mile, 20000 foot epic, should it make it through the permitting process.

So it's time to crank it up another notch if possible. I would like to hit 50 miles a week solidly, pushing 7500 vert each week as well. Assuming that goes well, I can keep increasing the intensity, adding in a few shorter races here and there just as a fitness test.

That's the plan going forward. As ever, we shall see how it goes.

No comments: