Monday, January 16, 2012

Gear Review: Shoes

I, like many other M101 enthusiasts, was eagerly awaiting the release of the M110 the first week of this year. I am fortunate enough to know several people at the Boulder Running Company, so as soon as the 110s arrived, they let me know and set aside a size 11.5 for me to pick up. Trusting that the shoe that fit me so well in its prior incarnation would fit me as well now, I bought them and brought them home, eager to test them out the next morning on a run up Flagstaff.

The M110s
 
Initially I was pleased with the shoe. New Balance added some more protection in the forefoot area. The 110s also have a Vibram outsole beneath the forefoot and heel, combined with much more significant lugs. The next morning, this gave me significant traction even on the snow and ice as I ran from work over to Eben G Fine park here in Boulder.

Unfortunately, I also noticed that the fit had changed quite a bit. As Anton Krupicka, who helped designed the shoe, had mentioned, they significantly altered the last of the shoe to be "more true" to the bare human foot. Sadly, my feet do not conform to the "normal" shape of a human foot, with my big toe being a good half inch longer than my second toe. Add to that my unfortunately flat feet, and I noticed a great deal of pressure on the outer portion of my midfoot.

Hoping maybe I would break them in and they would feel more like the 101s, I proceeded to run in them three times. I quickly noticed a pain in my ankles and calves caused, I assume, by the shape of the shoe forcing me to pronate even more than my natural stride.

As far as the actual shoe is concerned, notwithstanding the issues I have with its fit, it is excellent. The deep lugs give better grip, more rock protection, and even more cushioning than the 101s had. They are once again extremely light, and the synthetic uppers drain well and dry quickly. I love the little touches that New Balance included. The colors are flashy and more interesting than the average shoe (my pair would be proudly worn by any Macalester grad, being bright blue and orange). Also, in the heel it has a stamp "Approved by the Flatirons of Boulder" and on the bottom of the shoe are the words "Keep Up" written backwards.



As you have no doubt surmised, you will not see me wearing these shoes any time soon. If you happen to be in the market for what is technically an excellent shoe that just happens not to work for me, leave a comment and we can arrange something.

In the meantime, I headed back to the BRC yesterday to search for a replacement. I had heard good things about the Saucony Peregrines, but found those to be more shoe than I wanted.  I moved on to a pair of Inov8 X-Talons that seemed to work quite well on the rocks, but I wanted something that could also handle stretches of road without feeling too unstable. I quickly found the Brooks Pure Grits to be the shoe I was looking for. Initially worried that they would feel too cushioned while not providing enough rock protection, I found them gratifyingly comfortable, light, and protective on my 11 mile trail jaunt this morning.



I will write more as I put a few more miles on them. I am curious to see how a biodegradable shoe holds up to the miles. But I have been happy with shoes Scott Jurek wears before (the Green Silence being a notable example), so I have high hopes. I am still not sold on the oddly-shaped lugs, but until I take a few more technical trail runs, I will hold off judgment. As far as feel and comfort go, however, these easily beat out the 110s for me. And I am much more comfortable taking a well-cushioned shoe on my more epic runs.

No comments: