Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Importance of Slowing Down

I like going fast.

I'm a runner: it goes with the territory.

But this past week, I was forced to slow down for two reasons. The first is that I was increasing my mileage rather drastically over my average for the past few weeks (about 25% or so). That necessitated me slowing down, particularly on my long run Saturday. The second happened today. I took my car in for service. When I do that, I walk back and forth (forth and back?) to the service station, about a mile and a half total, over streets I run on a daily basis.

There are a number of indications that slowing down has beneficial effects for runners. Running about 80% easy and 20% fast seems to be a solid ratio. Matt Fitzgerald has a book on the subject: 80/20 Running. I don't feel any need to go into that here.

For me, slowing down on Saturday meant I felt more open to slowing my pace, and even stopping, so that I could take pictures. The slower pace also meant that I noticed more minute details to take pictures of. All of a sudden, I noticed deer prints all over the forest floor.

I paused to take a picture of the trail's end.


I spotted growths of some sort of mushroom, I think they may be oyster mushrooms or a similar variety. 




There had been a number of controlled burns in the area of Battle Creek Park, mostly burning downed trees. They were clearly recent, and had not been there the last time I ran in the area, but small flowers were already blooming in the burn scars. 


Later on, in Battle Creek Park proper, I saw a large number of columbines leaning over the path. 


As the run went on, my legs actually felt better. I ran more, and took fewer pictures. But I am glad I started off slowly. 

Today, walking along sidewalks I normally run. This was somewhat of a re-revelation to me. I realized again what a beautiful neighborhood I live in. I stopped and listened to the birds. I stopped and looked at the churches. I gloried in the bluebird skies and cool morning temperatures. 

I and I moved slowly home. 

1 comment:

Jennifer Dean Dwyer said...

Jamie, you have great wisdom.