Monday, April 6, 2015

Week Ending 4/5

Setbacks.

In any running year, they happen. I had one this past week. Around Tuesday, I started feeling congested, and just a bit ill. Even so, I did a solid hill workout on Tuesday, and a 6 x 3 minutes on, 2 minutes "float" fartlek on Thursday.

Friday I had planned 7 miles. I managed almost 4, with tears streaming from my eyes due to allergies. In the afternoon, after trying to work for several hours, I passed out in my bed for a couple hours.

I never take naps. In the past 10 years, I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a nap. I know they can be useful and healthy for many people, but I have never been able to fall asleep during the day. That should give an indication of how far gone I was.

Saturday I had planned a run out at Afton: a 15.5 mile loop I've done several times before. After Friday, though, I realized that, while I could probably have done the run, it would have done more harm than good.

For any runner, the decision not to do a workout (rather than, say, shortening or easing up on a planned workout) is a difficult one. Training requires, for me, a carefully acquired OCD tendency that is hard to set aside when things don't go your way.

I ended up taking the entire weekend off. After a couple rest days, I headed out for 3.5 miles today (Monday) and while I feel mostly better, I am not 100% by any means.


I can only hope I feel better as the week goes on because, on Saturday, I have my first race of the year! The Zumbro 17 (https://www.zumbro100.com/) is a 16.7 mile trail race with, depending on who you ask, 2300-3100 feet of elevation gain. Looking at past performances, if I feel ok I should be able to finish it in under 2:20. I ran a much harder race, the Continental Divide Trail Run in Steamboat (15.5 miles and 4300 feet at 8000+ feet elevation) in 2:22 off of two weeks' training.

I hope I feel better, and can really lay the hammer down.  With any luck, my enforced taper should help.

No comments: