Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week Ending 10/12/2014

Monday: 7 miles, 55 minutes. 3x8 minutes at half marathon pace or above, with a 3 minute rest interval on a hilly course. I decided this particular day to run a half marathon on Friday night as part of my training for the Icebox 480.

Tuesday: 4.75 miles, 38 minutes. Nice, easy run down Summit. Recovery from the hard workout the day before.

Wednesday: 4.75 miles, 38 minutes. Same run as yesterday, but I added 6x10s sprints in to get the leg turnover going.

Thursday: 3 miles, 25 minutes. This was originally scheduled as a hard run in my training plan, but given the half the next day I opted for an easy run with 5 striders. I wanted to train through this race, but I also didn't want to risk injury by overdoing it. As I grow more experienced in running, I can tread the line between training enough and overtraining with more ease. My gut told me that I would risk injury running a hard workout even if I took it fairly easy in the race the next day.

Friday: 13.1 miles. 1:40. Night Lights Half Marathon. (Race report coming soon).

Saturday: Off. I considered running, but again, did not want to injure myself. Since the race was in the evening, I figured I could still get the back-to-back benefit by running Sunday morning.

Sunday: 9 miles. 1:21. My legs definitely still felt the race on Friday, but I succeeded in getting a longish run in on a gorgeous fall day. I shuffled my way down to the River Gorge and back. THere were far more people than usual out on the singletrack above the Gorge today. I purposefully kept the pace slow and steady, trying to average about the pace I hope to hit in the 480 on November 8th. I did, successfully hitting 6.2 miles (the length of a lap at the 480) at almost exactly 57 minutes. That would give me 3 minutes at the aid station each lap and still let me hit my goal of  8 full laps.

Assuming that I can keep that pace.

It was a solid week of training. 42 miles and one half marathon under my belt. My training seems to be moving along well. The night race was fun, and I learned a thing or two about pacing. I also learned about night running, something I imagine will be useful if I continue pushing out to longer and longer distances.

Plus, I got to wrap a string of lights around myself and still run a decent race.

No comments: