Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Week Ending 5/13/2014

After taking easy last week, a necessity after my 29 miler the week before, I ramped it back up a bit this week. I wanted to get a few more intense workouts in before tapering for the race, primarily to see whether my legs had recovered from the long run completely. I think they did.

Monday: 5 miles, 40 minutes easy down summit. This whole week would prove pretty dismal in terms of weather. This day was no different.

Tuesday: 7.5 miles, 53 minutes. Hill/Fartlek. I felt quick on this one, and proved it running a 1:25 up the Ramsey Hill. That's another 5 seconds off my PR, showing that my training continues to progress apace..

Wednesday: 5 miles, 35 minutes easy down Summit. Yep. I finally decided to take the watch on an easy run this week to see how my times were. I hit a bridge that marked my 20-minute run turnaround point at 9 minutes, without feeling at all pressed. All in all, it was 5 miles at an effortless 7-minute pace.

Thursday: 5 miles,  with three miles of up-tempo in the middle. 33 minutes for 5 miles, with the last mile really slow.

Friday: Off.

Saturday: 10 miles, 70 minutes. Longish. Fastish. Again, this felt more like a warm-up than a long run. I felt fast, strong, and ready to run three times as long in a week.  Granted, I did take a short break in the middle, jaunting down to the river and poking around the fossil-covered rocks littering the bank. Given that I was in the middle of the Twin Cities (almost literally) it was remarkably quiet and peaceful at the water's edge.

Sunday: was basically a wash. We walked around for a few miles and generally took it easy before taking my mom out for Mother's Day.

I'm feeling pretty ready. I'm running about 4 miles a day this week, with a few striders/pick ups in the the middle of the runs, just to keep my legs fresh. The trail report says there are dry sections, muddy sections, wet sections, and sections with snow up to 20 inches deep. I doubt this is going to be a particularly fast running of the Superior 50k, but it should certainly be interesting.

I guess I've done everything I can. Next up: race report.

No comments: