Monday, November 26, 2012

A brief retrospective on Pikes


Today marks precisely three months after my Pikes Peak Marathon debut.  As my report at the time suggested, I was none too pleased with my result at the time. After some time to reflect, though, I have come to a bit of a different and, I hope, healthier perspective on the race.

As I pointed out at the time, it was not my best day. I had not slept very well the night before, nor had my nutrition and hydration been optimal in the days leading up to the race. These were both problems of my own creation, and I can chalk that down to experience.

Looking back at it now, the race was just that: experience. Pikes Peak was only my third marathon, and I had chosen what is generally regarded as one of the most difficult races in the country.  I had very little knowledge of the course, Matt Carpenter’s excellent course description notwithstanding, so I was not as prepared as I might have been for the fast, flat section in the middle on the way up and down. 

And I simply had a bad day. I had a few good miles at the outset, and a few good miles after the turnaround, for a total of 6 miles out of 26 where I felt ok.  Not an ideal ratio.

But I finished. I slogged through 20 difficult miles. I had time after time where I thought I would give up but turned that around and finished in spite of it. And I think that kind of stubbornness and determination will only help me as I continue in my racing career.

All in all, despite my initial disappointment, I have to count this as a win.

No comments: