Friday, May 29, 2009

A New Perspective on the Flatirons


Last Thursday, before I got my new trail shoes but after I got my new orthotics, I had to take a day off running. I had intended to take the day off entirely, but it was a misty, rainy day. Those are my favorite for trail running: everything just seems fresher, somehow. That, and it's never as horribly warm.

So, rather than trail running, I went for one of my favorite hikes: Saddle Rock in Chautauqua here in Boulder. It's a rather steep, fairly short hike, and the views from the top are generally spectacular. You get a view across at Flagstaff, and down into Boulder as well.

And since I wasn't running, it was easy to take my camera along and get a few good pics.


The Rock for which the trail is named. I didn't get a great pic of the actual "saddle" part, but you can see, it's up there a bit.

From the top, as I mentioned, you get some great views. Being spring, the Chautauqua Meadow is actually green, instead of the dead brown it turns later in the summer. It was somehow prettier when I took the picture.

At this point, I looked up farther, at the back of one of the Flatirons, and opted to hike to it. After a significant climb, I scrambled around on the rocks for a while, and found a niche that provided a bit of a different perspective on the Flatirons.

I thought it was pretty cool how close the angle of the Flatiron I was on was to the next one over.

The best part of the hike? I got a call in the middle of it saying that my new shoes had come in. When I got to Fleet Feet to pick them up, the person who sold them to me turned out to be a fellow Colby grad.

Small world.

Today, I'm going for a short Dakota Ridge/Sanitas Valley Run. Tomorrow, hopefully Betasso Preserve with Jessica.

No comments: